Sunday, August 5, 2012

Faith





I've been thinking a lot about faith lately.  You know what I mean when I say the kind of faith it takes to move mountains.  I grew up on the mountains and I wonder how much faith it would take to move them.

We know it will take large miracles from heaven for Michael to have the cancer taken from his body and to be able to do some things that normal little boys do.  And I've wondered if I have the faith centered in Christ for those miracles.  Some days I feel like I do.  In fact, faith to move mountains and see miracles seems easy.  It's the other kind of faith that I am learning.

The greatest test of faith for me isn't strong enough faith to move mountains or see miracles, it's the kind of faith to humbly say, "Thy will be done." 

It's the faith to accept loss, even great personal loss.  The faith to accept persecution for having integrity, standing for what's right, living the way I know is pleasing to God.  The faith to put my feet on the ground when I'm not sure there is solid ground - and doing that in the complete dark.  It's the faith to accept when nothing happens and when answers are delayed.  The faith to accept the places life leads me, especially places I hoped I wouldn't ever have to go.  And the faith to do things that I hoped I would never have to do.  And then given all that, having faith that in the end it will all be okay, because of my faith that I am in God's hands.

Heavenly Father knows me and my family personally.  He has a plan for each of us.  I am learning that having faith in that gets me through each day.

9 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Liz. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have described this perfectly. Thank you I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, our Relief Society lesson was on this exact topic today and I thought of you through the whole thing. Sometimes I think it is so simple to have faith in miracles because we can see tender mercies and silver linings everywhere. But, I agree that it is a more complex and deeper faith that shapes our very souls when expected miracles don't take place. Hang in there. You are in the refiners fire, and you will emerge stronger and brighter than before even though the pain and agony of the moment is almost unendurable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, your words about Faith are so wonderful! Thank you for your strength and determination! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the heartache, anguish, pain and grief in your heart. I am so saddened that you must suffer as Michael suffers. Each time I read your words in the blog, I am humbled by your faith in each process and each day.
    The family is sacred. As you have stated, I, too know that our Father in Heaven knows and loves your family, and is standing by you, to help you and give you comfort. I love you and pray constantly for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, just last week I was reading this blog post by Jenny Oaks Baker.
    http://www.tofw.com/story/314-defining-faith
    She tells about when her mother had cancer, and how her father taught her what faith really is. You are an amazing example of faith to me! I am so grateful that Michael has you and Tim, and that you two have each other. I know that Heavenly Father is mindful of your family, and that our Savior is watching over you, helping and supporting you each step of the way. I love you and pray for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, this is beautiful and I think you've discovered exactly what true faith really is. It's a higher place of living - one where we can open ourselves completely to God and say, (as you said), whatever You choose will be okay. I trust You. And I know You will make all things work for our good. That said, there have indeed been great things done in the name of faith. Healings of all kinds, extensions of lives, miracles. You have the faith. And you have the submissiveness. Still praying miracles for you, every night. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So inspiring, and so true! Thank you for sharing those special thoughts, Liz! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Liz :) Learning that level of faith is a refiner's fire to say the least. And there are so many levels to it. I think you and Tim are such great examples before entering into this experience. Obviously the Lord has great things cut out for you to do together. You are both my hero's.

    ReplyDelete