Thursday, August 16, 2012

End of Radiation-Beginning of School

Yesterday our home was filled with a light and happy mood.  We couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces because Michael finished radiation and school started.  To me, summer vacation is actually WAY too SHORT and I wish I could have my kids to myself much longer.  I guess I'm one of those types of moms.  But, I also love the excitement of a new school year, the anticipation of new learning and new experiences and it's rubbed off onto the kids a little bit so far.

We get 8 weeks to be a "normal" family and we are relishing in this time.  Michael still has physical, occupational and vision therapy and will start up speech therapy.  But we won't have to go to the hospital for 8 whole weeks until the next MRI to see what radiation has done to the tumor.  The doctors right now are in disagreement about whether we will see tumor or not so we are just going to enjoy these 8 weeks knowing nothing.   

Tim and I had to split duties yesterday, Tim taking Michael to his last day of radiation and I taking the kids to their first day of school.  Here are some pictures of this exciting day:

Tim holding Michael's certificate that says, "Certificate of Graduation presented to Michael Wheeler.
In recognition of your courage and strength."

In the recovery room are two large walls covered with hand prints of everyone who has completed radiation there.  This facility serves both the big and small, old and young, so there is quite the variety of hands.  This picture doesn't even come close to capturing the hundreds of hand prints on the walls.
Placing his hand on the wall
His is the fuzzy green one in the middle
Sarah is starting 1st Grade

Somebody lost two bottom teeth in the past couple of weeks and is begging mom to tell her what the tooth fairy looks like and when her mom says, "She looks like me," she doesn't believer her.

And she likes her shoes

Sneaking a pic just as school is getting started

Whitney just turned 5 last week (more about that in a later post) and is starting Kindergarten.  She actually started today instead of yesterday.

"Do you really have to take one more picture of us?"

Whitney was "very excited" to start kindergarten until I had to leave her.  You can see her nervous smile in this pic and her awesome K teacher in the background.

And yes, I will be pretty excited that I won't have to set my alarm for 3AM feedings and 5:30AM wake-ups and 3 hours of driving everyday.

3 comments:

  1. Tim & Liz, Congratulations on your 8 week hiatus! And kudos to Mikey for being such a brave during radiation! We have thought of you so, so much! Haven't talked to you in a while since we are also gearing up BIG time for school to start (8/21). Sarah & Whitney look so amazingly cute in their new school outfits!!! We think of you and pray for you guys every day...Love, Gina & fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! What a tremendous milestone for all of you to get through radiation! The school pictures are just too precious, one of my favorite ones is of Sarah's new school shoes, it just made me giggle. The wall of handprints is a little sobering to think about all of the people affected by their radiation treatments. My favorite handprint is the fuzzy green one! Keep up the great work you are doing and enjoy the time when you are not pushed by such a trecherous schedule. Love you, sweet Liz, wonderful Tim and darling children. Sam and I are still praying for miracles for Mikey! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are so glad that michael has completed his radiation! so fun for the girls to start school - i can't believe how big they have gotten! sure miss you guys and hope that all continues to go well and get better. love, the hintons!

    ReplyDelete