It has been a couple of days since we have been able to post anything because we are running two busy "households" right now. On the Fort Collins end, Tim and my dear mother, who has been caring for the children since the day after surgery, have been "holding down the fort." Besides handling all the regular stuff of life, like school work, piano practice, packing lunches and entertaining kids, they've dealt with all sorts of other issues. Sarah, Whitney and Spencer have all gone through a cycle of "foot, hand, and mouth disease," which left large blisters in their mouths, fever, runny nose, fatigue, rashes and blisters on their bodies, and irritability, I underline that for emphasis. Sarah also came down with the flu yesterday and puked in the nurse's office at school. Spencer has other various medical needs like an ingrown toenail and gashes on his face. Life never seems to slow down.
Mikey has made some huge strides this week. He's started playing with toys, transitioned to bottle feeds and pulled out his feeding tube again (they left it out this time), ate pears, spiked fevers and recovered, and giggled. He is gaining weight and likes to grunt and play games. Although his right eye isn't quite yet in sync with his left, don't you think he looks amazing? Miraculous in some ways. Yes, he still has a tube sticking out of his head, and he has trouble with motor skills like turning his head, rolling and sitting, but every day he is a little bit better.
Monday he will get a mediport (kind of like a semi-permanent IV under the skin) and most likely, a shunt. They are giving him one last try to prove he needs a shunt but surgery is scheduled on Monday as they still anticipate it.
I've also had some very lovely visitors this week. Some dear friends have made visits during the days and nights and my sister-in-law drove up from Pueblo to visit us. We never know if we should smile or not when we pose next to Michael. Does it look strange to have cheesy grins next to a baby with cancer? Ah, but you got to love him.
We have had several challenges arise from miscommunications within our "care team" and I have been on a roller coaster all week dealing with conflicting information and opinions. For example, some of the team strongly encourage me continue nursing Michael, others strongly encourage weening him. Some say his Bell's Palsy is improving, others say it's getting worse. Even the same person will one minute say one thing ("He's eating from a bottle so well! Let's continue doing it.) and five minutes later come back in the room saying something different (I've changed my mind, he's doing terrible with his feedings and needs to be on a feeding tube again). This wouldn't be that big of a deal except all of these people write it out as "doctor's orders" so I'm constantly having to do whatever the next person who walks in the door says. And of course they blow off my opinion if they don't agree with it. I'm learning that having a child as a cancer patient requires efforts in building a maintaining good relationships with his care team. So far, there have been some hiccups but we are hoping to iron them out with a "family meeting" on Monday where all of the people involved in his care - doctors, nurses, therapists, nutritionist and social workers, will get together and develop some firm plans and concrete information.
Tim and I are trading places for the weekend. We'll see what progress Mikey has made by then.
Woah! I can hardly believe that first picture! You're not kidding about a transformation. What a big smile on his face! And so nice to see him without the yellow tube taped to it. He sure liked pulling that out, huh? Every tube removed is such a huge success, isn't it. So happy to see him smiling. I loved having the chance to visit you guys. I hope to be able to do so more often.
ReplyDeleteLove, Love, LOVE, the smile on Mikey's face. He looks so good! You look good too, and I'm glad to see that you can still smile even with all the hiccups and challenges you're facing daily. Love you!!
ReplyDeleteI think he looks so wonderful! and please keep smiling...
ReplyDeletezach got really grumpy a couple days after we visited. we thought it was strep throat and I almost took him to the doctors on Tuesday this week. we kept joking that he caught a contagious disease from the childrens hospital!! lol!! it completely makes sense now. I had wondered which shoes had given him blisters on his feet. lol!! neither of my other two got it (but I remember Ethan having it as a baby and possibly Mason too) funny funny
ReplyDeleteIt is so good to see Michael smile!!
love, Korie
I am loving the smile. You guys keep smiling, too. Even in pictures. Love you all!
ReplyDeleteWe were at the temple last night, and put your family's name on the prayer roll. So amazing to see Mikey so happy in this picture!!! Our prayers and thoughts are with you and Tim (and your mom) as you go through this busy & stressful time, dealing with sick kids, erratic nurse advice, and a recovering baby. We love you and pray for you!
ReplyDeleteHi Liz, I am just getting caught up on your blog. You guys are on a tough road, but seem to be traveling well. I will continue to pray for you! Don't forget to take care of yourself too! I had a daughter who was hospitalized for 10 days when she was a toddler. I was so surprised by how much my own physical strength had diminished after 10 days of just sitting by her bedside. Hopefully you have time for some exercise! Hang in there!
ReplyDelete--Jennifer
This post gave me so much joy and hope! I love Mikey's smile, and yes you look marvelous too, Liz! Love you so much....Sam and will continue offering many prayers for you all. xo
ReplyDeleteTim and Liz,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful boy! Great to see a smile on his face. Glad to hear about the meeting to get everyone on the same page, too. Sounds like a great idea.
How terrible that your kiddos have been so sick. Darn! I know they are in capable hands. Yes, life goes on--which is good for your older kids. But I know how busy that is!
I don't know how you are handling EVERYTHING, but I know you are both competent, intelligent, diligent, compassionate, and inspired. May you be blessed with all the strength and patience and wisdom that you need to weather this storm.
Love,
Kim