Since we're both contributing to the blog we sometimes use the same account to write our posts. We'll try to remember to say which one of us is writing the post. Not that it really matters. :-)
Tim:
We just finished talking to the pediatric neurooncologists (children's brain cancer doctors). The lab results are back, and Michael's specific cancer is called "anaplastic ependymoma". It's pretty rare in children under a year old. It's a very deadly form of cancer, but it has a decent cure rate. There's a great deal of research being done on this specific type of cancer and how to treat it. One of the world's leading experts on it just so happens to work here at our Children's Hospital! What a tender mercy to our family.
The most effective treatment for this cancer is radiation. Unfortunately, you have to be at least a year old to "safely" receive this sort of radiation treatment, and Michael is only six months old. So Michael will receive chemotherapy in an effort to keep the cancer at bay until he's a year old. Chemotherapy has mixed results at treating this form of cancer. Radiation is pretty good at getting rid of it, but it's more effective when there's not much tumor to begin with. So there's a possibility that the neurosurgeon will have to do another surgery before radiation treatments to remove as much of what remains of the tumor as possible.
Chemotherapy will take a couple of days every three weeks. After a few rounds of that they'll determine whether it's having any effect and whether more surgery is required. Sometime after Michael hits his first birthday he can start his radiation treatments, which are five days a week for six weeks. All of the treatments will be done here at the Children's Hospital. A few months after that the cancer will either be gone or deemed incurable.
The next step before all of this, of course, is for Michael to recover from his surgery. Today was a pretty good day for him. His fever is gone, the blood clot is looking pretty good, and we're able to hold him again. He's slept and/or rested much of the afternoon, my job was to keep people from barging into the room and waking him up.
Liz drove home this morning to give the other children some mommy time and put out fires that had cropped up in the last few days since my home visit. Just before she left the neurosurgeons visited us and expressed the concern that the Bell's Palsy in Michael's face may be permanent, but still held out hope that we won't know for sure for a few more months. It was heartbreaking news to hear, and as I held Michael close after Liz left, there were a lot of prayers and tears. I came to realize as I prayed to my Father for help, I was praying to Michael's Father as well, who loves our family very much. I also realized that we need to put it into the hands of the Lord and continue to love Michael with all our hearts, no matter the outcome.
Since Liz was at home in Fort Collins this evening, unfortunately it meant that she wasn't here for the diagnosis from the neurooncologists. Fortunately one of them had a cell phone with a speaker phone, so she was able to follow the conversation and ask questions. It's always a good thing and a bad thing when one of us goes home to be with the other children. We've been leaning heavily on each other to get through Michael's illness, and are so grateful for those who are taking care of our children at home so we can both be with Michael at the hospital and support him and each other. At the same time, our children really need a mommy and daddy, and it means the world to them and to us when one of us gets to go home for a visit every couple of days.
Tim and Liz, I so appreciate the time you give to write what is happening with Michael, Liz and you, and the kids at home. I believe you might feel that this is a nightmare that you desperately would like to wake up from (I would). Your desire to put all in the hands of the Lord and continue loving Michael, could only be with parents who have been close to the Lord from the beginning--of your family. I am so very sorry for the heart-rending experiences and diagnosis. Your trust in Michael's Father, and your Father, is probably how you live from day to day.... My love and prayers to your family, Aunt Janice
ReplyDeleteHi Wheeler family. You might not remember the Merrell Family (Bryan, Kasey & Cooper)We lived in Ft. Collins 2 years ago and went to your ward. We are friends with the Bailey family and she sent me your blog. I just read your journey. Thank you for sharing your story and your testimony. My heart and prayers go out to your family and your little boy.
ReplyDeleteKasey Merrell
Dear Tim & Liz, it's hard to know what to write, what words to say. Nothing I can say can make this better or go away (how I wish I could wave a magic wand for you sometimes!!!).
ReplyDeleteMy heart is with you.
Ever since Michael has been in the hospital, I started reading about different brain tumors and I have been trembling, waiting to hear his diagnosis. Of course I am not glad he has cancer, but SO relieved that this cancer is treatable. What an absolute tender mercy that this hospital is an expert at ependymomas! I remember reading that my first night I couldn't sleep. We'll be praying and praying that we will see a decrease in his bell's palsy.
Love you guys.
Gina & Family
Thank you for keeping us updated on how Michael is doing. Your family is in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteI sit here in a dark room reading your blog in the early morning hours of a new day. I have been anxious for you and have much time praying and thinking of you all. Your example through this trial has stengthened anyone who has been following your blog. I leave today for home with a torn heart not wishing to leave my grandfather who needs us but happy to be coming home to my husband, children and friends. I honor your friendship and hope to continue to be of service to your family for years to come not only through this passage of time. Be seeing you soon. Let every good moment be the one to remember. Especially the small triumphs! Love, Jenn
ReplyDeleteYou two are amazing! I appreciate very much your updates on Michael's and your well-being! Sam and I have been praying for you to receive answers and also much comfort and peace all day every day. Keep us posted! Love you so very much! Aunt Beverly
ReplyDeleteI will be sending prayers to get you through the difficult days ahead. My son was diagnosed with an Anaplastic Ependymoma two years ago. He had surgery and then proton radiation at MGH in Boston. We are blessed that he is doing well and I am hoping that Michael does just as well. As our surgeon said "children are amazing." If you want to read about other survivors of this disease I can send you more blogs. It is hard to find survivors on the internt but thier are many. Praying for all of you...
ReplyDeleteRyan's mom
www.caringbridge.org/visit/ryanjacksonroars
wow!! your blog is reaching so many people and your writing is so eloquent. It's amazing how much positive can come out of something so negative.
ReplyDeletelove you and will be praying as always for Michael. (Ethan reminds us anytime we don't mention baby Michael specifically in our prayers -- the other night I prayed for all the sick babies in general and Ethan made sure to correct me and make sure I was more specific in the future):)
Tim, Liz, Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad I was able to learn the details about Michael. I am very touched by all this. Hang in there, and don't give up. Don't hesitate to ask us for help with kids or helping at the house. Let me help you do some of your home repairs. I'd love to help.
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to your family, but there is HOPE my then 2 year old grand daughter was diagnosed in July 2009 and went to St.Judes for chemo and Jacksonville fl for proton beam radiation. You might check into getting to St.Jude. They are the best! My grand daughter is doing great and is in preschool.She had 4 months of chemo and 6 weeks of proton.My grand daughter had the same exact cancer!
ReplyDelete