Sunday, November 24, 2013

Eye eye, Cap'n!

This week one of Michael's speech therapists brought us a talking device to try out with Michael.  Each button has a picture or word associated with it.  The idea is that when he wants something, he pushes the button for it and you hear one of our pre-recorded voices say the word or phrase associated it.  Things like "milk", "snack", "hug", or his favorite, "all done".  Spencer recorded that one and the kids still burst into giggles every time we hear his four-year old voice belt out "I'm...all...DONE!!!".

Michael's new talking machine.  We still need more pictures to go with the buttons.
Early on Friday morning I took Michael into the hospital for eye surgery to help correct his strabismus.  It has been almost a year since his previous eye surgery, and his eye surgeon said that statistically speaking this should be his last.  We're grateful that once again we could do the surgery here in Fort Collins instead of traveling down to Denver.  Liz stayed home with the other kids to help get them off to school and to keep Brooklyn well fed.

Michael's surgery went very well.  Since I wasn't allowed to go with him into the OR to help put him to sleep, the nurses him a little Versed to relax him and make parting with dad easier on him.  (Shouldn't they have something to give to dads as well?!)  An hour or so later the surgery was finished.  An hour or two after that we got to come home.  He handled the whole ordeal like a champ and didn't even cry very much.

His eye is very red and occasionally has bloody tears coming from it.  He's had a fever today and has been feeling kind of crummy.  (He's been saying "I'm...all...DONE!!!" a lot lately.)  But he should be feeling better in a few days.

Chilling out in his PJ's after getting home from surgery
We saw our first significant snowfall this week.  Only a few inches worth, which (shockingly enough) they didn't cancel school for, much to our children's chagrin.  Hopefully the weather will be nice this week as we drive out to Utah to spend Thanksgiving with the Bellamy family!

Sarah and Whitney arriving home from school

Time for some hot chocolate by a warm fireplace!


1 comment:

  1. Tim, I hear you, I totally feel like I need medication when they take my kids back to surgery, the boys on the other hand have ALWAYS been perfectly willing to go with strangers, so we've never had to give them any versed. I'm glad things went well!

    ReplyDelete