Tim:
Michael had his MRI today to see how his tumor is progressing and whether he would need another surgery. We have good news and bad news. The good news is that Michael will not be having surgery. He will proceed with radiation as planned. The bad news is that the MRI showed that more tumor has grown back on his brain stem. It's large enough to be a concern and under ideal circumstances they would want to remove it before starting radiation. But because of how bad the neurological damage was from his last surgery, they don't want to go anywhere near his brain stem if they can help it.
So although the situation is less than ideal, fortunately the tumor is small enough that radiation still has a fair shot at killing it. Radiation won't actually remove the tumor, but if it can kill it it will prevent the tumor from growing any further and causing any more damage.
We're grateful for family and friends who continue to keep Michael in their prayers!
Goodness Liz, what news. I'm sorry for the progression of the tumor again near the brain stem, but hopeful that the radiation treatments will do what they intend and stop further growth. Just reading about what little Michael will go through during each of his treatments (daily sedation!) makes me want to cry for you! I cannot imagine how you are handling all of this and still attending to your other children. I'm praying for angels to flank you on every side, seen and unseen. Love to you and continued prayers.
ReplyDeleteDarn it! I am sorry, this had to be disheartening, but Im glad there is still so much hope. NEVER underestimate hope right? It sounds like you have very GOOD doctors that are thinking of Michael as a whole and not just his tumor, what a blessing. Sometimes what we get is not what we want, but exactly what is needed. The radiation sounds like the best shot at killing this cancer and saving Michael from a scary surgery while giving him a strong future. You are all so brave, whether you mean to be or not, you are. Moving forward, hoping, praying, and enduring. I continue to add my prayers and hands in lifting you up! If I can take your kids on some of the days I would love to! We're right off the 25 on your way into Denver, it'd be easy, or I would be HAPPY to come to your home if it is easier on your kids. Just say the word and Im there! Much LOVE!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update, I'm sure we're all a little discouraged by the news of more tumor growing, however, I was relieved to know that the doctors don't want to attempt more surgery. I sure would love to hold and spend some time with Mikey and all of you! Keep up your strength and your witness of God and His direction for you. He is directing your lives. "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10 We love you all! xo
ReplyDeleteDear Michael,
ReplyDeleteHappy First Birthday! I wish I could join you and your family for this important day,
but I am just back from a wedding in Vail and on my way to work! :-(
You are in my prayers DAILY!
OX Kim Sievers