Sunday, May 6, 2012

Slogging Through

Life is getting busier the farther we move into May.  It seems there is barely enough time to get done the essentials of the day and even then, many of them are falling to the wayside.  But we are continuously buoyed up through a higher power that keeps us going.

Michael continues to carry his heavy load slogging through chemo treatments.  Dr. Foreman visits us now with a very guarded expression and dialogue, a strong hint that he is pretty concerned with Michael's progress right now.  He would like us to move back the next dose of chemotherapy treatments by a couple of days, hoping to slow down the constant battle of vomiting, weakness, and the lack of progress with the healing of his facial paralysis.  If Mikey could just have a bit more color in his face and a bit more smile, I think he wouldn't be so concerned.  This week will be very busy with 4 visits to Denver for chemo and follow-up.

However, Pam, his physical therapist who he has such a special relationship with, has been pleased with his small but extraordinary accomplishments this week, such as sitting alone for 15 seconds.  He works a lot on his big red ball to strengthen his body.


We paid another visit to Dr. Arnold, the eye doc, who said we'll hold off on patching his eye.  Michael is switching between eyes at the moment and at times uses both eyes, even though his vision is very limited because of how crossed they are.

I've been doing research on things like Moebius Syndrome and surgical nerve repair to prepare myself in case Michael's face never returns.  It's stinging to think about at times, but armed with information makes me feel better.

I ran across this line the other day while reading the Little House on the Prairie series and could relate. 
 "What needs to be done, is best done cheerfully." 
 I could use an infusion of cheerfulness in the chaos of it all.

And here's are a few more things we caught on camera this week.
I love the "halo" effect with Mikey's hair and light.  He seriously has the craziest hair. I love it.
The trio having a little book party under the trampoline
Whitney practicing getting air
Spencer gets the tongue action going when he gets serious
Whitney reading to Spencer on our bed
Whitney wears this bunny mask around the house every chance she can get

Whitney dressed Spencer up in Sarah's clothes while she was at school.  He was a bit embarrassed but liked the lava lava feel.
Mikey found someone's noodles from lunch
The pool water was too cold to sit in, but dipping in their feet was just right
Future basketball star/firefighter
And one more blast from the past, I ran across this the other day.  Here Tim and I are signing our marriage license just over 8 years ago.  Could we have even imagined the journey we would walk together so soon into our marriage.  I feel so grateful we have each other.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post, the pictures are priceless! I think my favorite pictures are of Mikey eating the Raman noodles, and your other 3 kiddos just being awesome kids! Hang in there with the challenges set before you. Mikey was meant to be your baby boy to nurture, nourish, and comfort at this adverse time, and you are doing a remarkable work for him and with him! Sam and I are continuing to ever pray for Mikey and your family. I know the Lord is aware of your entire experience and He knows how best to succor you all. May His Peace permeate your heart and bring you some unexpected cheer! I love you all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I am reading the Little House series with my girls and just read those very words. Recently. You have a tremendously positive attitude Liz. And I'm so glad you feel confident in Michael's PT, and your doctor. You are wise to get as much information as you can. I believe it does arm us, empowers us, dissipates fear. And it is such a joy to see your other children living life normally, even Michael with his handfuls of noodles. You are enduring an awfully hard fight right now. And it is obvious the Lord is sustaining you. One step at a time, my friend. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting these precious and beautiful pictures!!! So wonderful to see the joyous moments like trampolines, Spencer's lava lava :), and Mikey with a fistful of noodles. It calms my heart to see those moments because I know you are dealing with such heavy, heavy burdens. We pray for you & Tim each and every day that the Lord will strengthen you both...for goodness sakes, just being a mom of 4 is tiring enough...but you are simply amazing at how you are caring and loving your kids during this time! We will be thinking of you especially this Mother's Day - it will be a very poignant day. You are a very, very special mom. Warm hugs, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are so cute!! kids find joy in everything ... love it

    ReplyDelete