Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Another world

Sometimes I feel like I've entered a world that I don't want to be apart of, but I am here and there is no way to leave.  I wonder sometimes, "How did I get here?"  I take a guess at when it all began, but like so many things in life, there really is no tangible beginning.  Was it when Michael was diagnosed?  No, he already had cancer.  Was it when Michael was born?  No, he already had cancer.  And then I remember the day that I found out I was expecting my fourth baby, and how incredibly happy and excited I was.  I had worked hard to come to that time.  I know I have a little addiction for babies.  Oh well, I think it's a good one to have.  I feel humbled and grateful that I am Michael's mother.  I wouldn't trade it for the world that I wish I lived in - the cancer-free world.

Today, we started another round of chemotherapy.  Despite Michael testing positive for RSV on Saturday, we went ahead with the infusions because he is getting better.  But we are in isolation because of it and everyone who enters our room is donned in special yellow gowns and masks to prevent the spread of his virus.  It takes several days for the chemo to work.  Cancer has interesting trade-offs:  rushing to the hospital at a simple fever, yet infusing toxins into the body while already fighting a dangerous illness.  Risk factors are constantly being assessed against the ultimate risk of the cancer growing, spreading.

Here is what chemotherapy looks like:
I like the "high alert" in bright red on this with cute baby in background

This is the carboplatin nice and bubbly
Chemotherapy is chemicals.  Very toxic chemicals.  The basic chemotherapy, like the ones Michael is getting, kill all rapidly dividing cells in a body.  These usually are hair cells, bone marrow cells (white and red blood cells and platelets), and your gastrointestinal tract cells.  Hence the common side effects for chemotherapy are hair loss, compromised immune system, anemia (red blood cells unable to deliver oxygen to the body), difficulty with the blood being able to clot, diarrhea, vomiting, sores in the mouth, ulcers, and anywhere along the GI tract. 

The chemo solutions are very precise and mixed immediately prior to administering them by a special lab under special protocols here in the hospital.  The nurses wear eye protection and gloves when handling them.  The solutions simply run from an IV pole into Michael's port on his chest through a large butterfly needle (seen in this post).  Sure makes me feel excited to see it plugged into Michael (not really).

But he handles it well.  I am sometimes amazed at how strong his body is.  Amazed. 

7 comments:

  1. How grateful I was for your updates. Reading how your whole family is being blessed touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, this post to your blog gave me emotions that well-up in my soul with love for baby Mikey, you, Tim, and your other 3 kiddos. I am so proud of you Liz! Your words are very candid and the truth of them helped me remember to reflect once again on the big picture and what we are all doing "here". Hang in there with all of your might. I pray the Lord will provide sweet strength to you from the seen and unseen ministering angels to lift you all. xo Aunt Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat, I got to read two updates! I'm so grateful Mikey is handing chemo so well. And I'm so sorry you all have to go through all of this. I wish I could put you back in the "normal" world. I often wish I could go there myself! :) But that's not why Heavenly Father sent us here, is it? You continue to be in our hearts and prayers. Thank you so much for taking the time to keep us all updated! Love you, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz & Tim, just catching up on your last 2 posts. Thanks for giving us all a snapshot into the "cancer world". It must be so painful and emotional at times, and then so "ordinary" (for lack of a better word) at other times. I feel so bad that you have such an enormous trial in your life...and then at the same time, I know that Heavenly Father could not have entrusted Mikey to more capable parents than you! So glad that the specialists are also helping the other kids. Kind of an unexpected blessing, I guess, huh? Love you guys! Gina & fam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, thank you for sharing Mikey's story....you write from your heart with details that color the pictures of this journey...Glad you checked in on us. Prayers continue daily for your Mikey and your family.
    Hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wheelers. My Ivee was diagnosed with Ependymoma at 7 months old in 2006. Your story sounds a little TOO familiar. Saw you joined the Ependy site. I will be keeping up with your baby and you on this new journey you are on. It's a horrible club to be thrown into, but you will find the strength to take the journey, sometimes day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. Keep up the blogging when you can! It is for you to share/vent as well as inform. Take care and prayers for you all! Hope Foley m/o Ivee the blessed. www.thefoleyfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so good to see your updates Liz and Tim! You all continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. We love you!

    ReplyDelete