Friday, February 17, 2012

Little Brave

Michael has been a champ handling his chemotherapy so far.  Dr. Foreman says babies might seem fragile, but from an oncologist's point of view, they are actually "tough as nails."  I'd almost forget what we are doing here, except for the kid who was puking violently in the room next door, or another child who went into a full out rage in the hallway, or the teenagers curled up on the beds, sicker than ever, or the life-flight helicopter roaring overhead, or the Hat Tree in the lobby.


You'd almost think Michael was a normal kid with how smiley and happy he is, babbling like crazy.  But when we take off his hat, we see his head that looks like this, and then we remember all he has been through.




The large butterfly looking needle that inserts into his mediport


He is our little Brave.  I was intrigued a couple of years ago after reading A Mother's Book of Secrets, by Linda and Shawni Eyre, with the idea of telling stories about a family that lives in Mirrorland - inside the of the mirrors, that looks just like ours but they go by different names.  I'd line up the kids in front of the mirror and tell them all about the "friend" they could see in the mirror that looked just like them, but lived in a different world.  The family that looked just like ours had the names Fun (dad), Cookies (mom), Butterfly (Sarah), Sparkles (Whitney) and Tiger (Spencer).  When Mikey was born, the kids asked me many times what Mikey's "friend's" name was in Mirrorland.  I couldn't think of what would fit him for the longest time and we started calling him "Bear" when he was about 5 months old because it was the only thing that I could think of. 

Fast forward several weeks when I was driving home from the hospital after several long and harrowing days after Michael's surgery.  I was reflecting on this little boy and how brave his little spirit must be inside of a body that was crushed under illness.  The thought occurred to me that he was so Brave, and that would be the perfect name for him in Mirrorland.  "Be brave, little Brave," we say to him.  And he is.

The telethon is wrapping up today.  It was sponsored by the radio station Alice 105.9 in Denver. They have been using the airtime of their station to broadcast beautiful stories of the children here at Children's.  It has been heartening to walk by all the volunteers standing ready to answer the phones - if only they were ringing more.  Most of the time there have been few calls coming in.  I'm certain it must be a reflection on the hard times economically we are all facing.  For those who have asked for the number it is: 1-800-458-kids (I am not asking for donations, but listing it here for those who have asked me).

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.  I am so sad my sister, Carrie, has to fly home tomorrow.  She had been amazing help this week.

7 comments:

  1. Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake had their annual radio telethon fundraiser this week. Kate has been donating to that worthy cause ever since her sister was treated for leukemia at PCH. I'm glad Denver Children's Hospital is doing the same thing.

    Be brave, little Brave and be brave, little Brave's parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing entry! You are brave too! Tears come to my eyes everytime I read these. Joy, sadness, love - for all reasons. I have been listening on the radio as I do every year to the telethon. I love the stories and always think of my brother. Now I will think of Mikey too! You are so amazing! We love you guys. Call for anything.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Sandra, I too have tears of tenderness, joy, love, sympathy, empathy, and so many other mixed up emotions as I read yours and Tim's posts. I have been especially filled with this gigantic amount of love for all of my little Wheeler family in Colorado as I read your post tonight. The pics of Mikey are so awesome, his eyes are very bright and his smile made me giggle through my tears. Hang in there my sweet loved ones. Sam and I are ever praying in faith for you to receive the gifts God has for each of you at this time. xo(x)infinity Aunt Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I've been here before but I don't know if I've left a comment. I just came across an old comment of yours on my blog and wanted to check in. I want to tell you how brave YOU are. Maybe that should be your nickname as well :) It is so difficult for a mother to go through the things you are going through and I think you are amazing to keep so strong and vibrant. May God give you all the strength you need to get through all the tough stuff...and to remember that it all is making you stronger...and more brave! Prayers coming your way. Much love, Shawni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Little Brave looks amazing! How is his eyesight?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, thanks for sharing that sweet story of how Little Brave got his name. You, Tim & Mikey are such examples of "brave" to us! Loving ya from Rocklin.....Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does Michael have chemo every week? Is he still doing all right? Are Michael's parents coping? Love you...Aunt Janice

    ReplyDelete