On our way home!
Michael has enjoyed being home for longer than 24 hours this time. It's going to take a while to get into a new routine with him. He requires so much care it's like taking care of a newborn again. I don't know what we'd do without Grandma here helping out.
Michael spent two hours today with the physical and occupational therapists. It totally wiped him out and he needed a lot of holding after that. Sarah, Whitney, and Spencer are really happy to see Michael and their mommy and daddy again. They just want to hang out with us wherever we are.
Michael will start chemotherapy next Wednesday back at Children's Hospital. They think he should have sufficiently recovered from his shunt surgery for them to wipe out his immune system. We're still trying to figure out what kind of quarantine to place him under for the next few months during his chemo treatments. On the one hand we don't want him getting sick, but on the other hand we want to try to give our kids some semblance of a normal life if we can.
That's gotta be a tough balance to reach. Keeping Michael as healthy and safe as possible, but also trying to give the kids as normal a life as possible. I think it is great you guys are even aware of such a balance. You are awesome parents going through a really rough time. I'm lucky to be apart of your family. :) I'm here for you.
ReplyDeleteoh, Hooray!!!! the pictures are so adorable, how Michael cuddles into both of you when you hold him. If only he could talk, I'm sure he would express how much he relies on your strength and your comforting arms to get throught the painful moments (like therapy, etc). Wow. you. are. home! Say hi to Sarah, Whit & Spencer! I bet there was LOTS of jumping up and down when you pulled up on Tuesday. And God bless Pat...she is an ANGEL!!! Love to all, Gina & family
ReplyDeleteWe're so glad Michael recovered so quickly and is home! I'm sure that you guys will find the right balance for your family. We're praying for you and love you all.
ReplyDeleteMelissa
Hooray -- home just one day after shunt surgery? Awesome!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you're home! What do the doctors suggest for quarantine? I hope you can find a balance that works well for your family!
ReplyDeleteWazzzahh! So happy to hear that Mikey got to go home! I'm sure you will find the right balance for Mikey's well-being and your everyday family life. You lives are now extraordinary and you will do great! You've got the force with you, and Sam and I will continue to offer and combine our prayers of faith and supplication with yours. xo Aunt Beverly!
ReplyDeleteHow sweet to learn that you are back together again! And we will keep up our many sincere prayers for Michael, for you and Liz, for the older kids, for Grandma, for those other angels around you providing so much help. How grateful I am to read of Michael's progress!!!!!!!!!!!! Love, Aunt Janice
ReplyDeleteWOOHOO!!!! Michael is home!! That is such a quick recovery from surgery! You will find your routine in time, you are doing an amazing job handling everything!! Oh, and I love your mom!!!
ReplyDelete